Friday, January 21, 2011

Questionnaire

1. ENG 1301 is a class that “affords the opportunity for students to develop their ability to communicate effectively and responsibly through written discourse.” Before we begin our semester, I’d like to know how you would describe a writer. You can tell me about anything you’d like, but just make sure you tell me why you think people write.

I would describe a writer as someone that writes his or her ideas and shares it with the world. I would describe a writer as a person who writes their feelings, emotions, character and uniqueness through their writing. People write because they simply want to get all those things out and share it with the world. We are all human beings and we are all different, the same concept applies to writing, we all write in our own distinct way. When we write we try to explain whatever we are talking about very thoroughly. We all talk in our own ways and the way we talk or act in certain ways can travel to your writing. A writer sets aside what others may say, and just gets his ideas or opinions out to the world without hesitation. That's not to say that a person who is writing a certain way due to the audience is a bad writer, he or she is just making her writing or voice reader based instead of writer based.

2. Now that you’ve told me why you think people write, tell me about the ideas, opinions, perspectives that have helped you understand the purpose of writing. Be sure and tell me who shared these ideas, opinions, and perspectives with you.

I learned a good amount about the purpose of writing in 1301. The main purpose of someone writing was to share what he or she has to say. It’s to see how someone feels about a topic. There are many ways to express and write down out opinions and perspectives. My teacher last semester had alot of ideas and opinions that kept me with an open mind. She taught me to try to not necessarily contradict someone on the spot, but to make sure you tell them to back up their ideas.


3. Based on why you think people write, what do you expect to learn about writing in ENG 1302? you have any ideas about how you will learn to write in this class, tell me about those too.

Well I expect to learn more about why people write. Why is it that we all write? Well obviously we don’t all write all the time but why do the people that write write? I hope I can learn how to get my ideas out there a little better than I do now.

4. What do you think you need to learn in 1302 to improve your writing? Tell me three (3) specific things you expect to learn in this class. Also, tell me three (3) things you can already do that you’d like to do better (and give me a number between 1 and 100 about how confident you feel in you ability to do these things). In doing so, feel free to tell me about what other teachers have told you in the past, but also tell me about the expectations you have for college writing.

For starters the one things I hope to improve in this class is my research papers. I know a good amount of what should be on a research paper but I'm positive I am leaving stuff out. I hope I can learn some things about research papers that maybe not too many people know or don’t understand too well. Obviously like I just stated the number one thing I expect to learn is how to improve my research papers. I also want to just learn something about reading and writing in general.

5. Not thinking about a grade or credit hours, how will you know you've been successful in this course? What will success look like for you at the end of the semester? How will you evaluate what you’ve learned over the 15 weeks?

Whether or not i pass this course, or get a good grade i hope to feel success within myself. I will feel successful if I leave the class with things that I did not know before I enrolled in this class. I look back at 1301 and I’m not to disappointed in myself. I learned a lot about reading and writing that I never would have even thought of before. I learned how important it is to put emotion and feeling through your writing to express yourself. Since it was mentioned in the first day of class that we are going to do a research project throughout the semester, I expect us to do a good amount of research and surveys etc. I also expect to learn some structure of a research paper that I didn’t know before. If I learn something about a research paper or writing in general, that is enough sucess in my mind and im not gonna put myself down if I don’t get the most amazing grades.

1 comment:

  1. Check Plus

    Thank you for posting your responses. Please keep these somewhere in the back of your mind as you go through the readings and assignments in this class.

    ReplyDelete