Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SQR#1

Summary:

In the article “Inventing the University”, David Bartholomae shares his views and ideas over academic discourse in a community. He initiates by stating that a student should, “learn to speak our language, to speak as we do”. He is referring to to the language of academia not a spoken language. Bartholomae states that students have to appropriate themselves and speak comfortably in front of their audience and do so speaking in the language of academia. Even if they don’t fully know how to speak in the language of academia, they need to mimic it’s language. Bartholomae says it can cause problems.

Question:

Bartholomae states that in order to speak academically toward an audience of higher academia, students must master, or learn the techniques to carry off a “bluff.” For instances, the author explain that when you are approaching a specific audience that is of higher archy you must learn to speak their privileged language. What if the student basically “bull shit’s” his or her topic, but someone in the audience is more knowledgeable of that certain subject, and decides to challenge the students way of speaking/voice, what then?

Response:

I believe there are several solutions to this situation. In my opinion I think that stating you are not all knowing in a topic before you begin to talk about it would be helpful. If you began with that, people in the audience would atleast be more understanding if there are maybe some facts you state that aren’t one hundred percent correct. If you don’t do that you may be embarrassed by someone in the audience.

3 comments:

  1. 85

    +Your summary is decent, but it could be better

    +Your question and response are good it lets you have a conversation rhetorically. But I invite you to dialogue.

    ? Why do you think it is necessary to say that you are not all knowing? I know you can say this in a talk or presentation, but in a paper? If you put this down on paper wouldn’t it invalidate your voice? Think about academic papers, different writer often disagree, and even when presenting really controversial points that are not well accepted, academic writers never apologize. Would you like to be told by a professor, nombre just apologize for your paper in the introduction and you’ll be ok. What would you do if I gave you that permission? Would your paper be stronger or would you feel that you have no obligation to your reader because of this disclaimer. And better yet would you feel you have no obligation to yourself as a student in higher education, after all higher education means pushing yourself beyond high school level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that it is vital to state you are not all knowing because it would limit people or the audience from maybe speaking up and correcting you. I do believe in a way that it would invalidate your voice, but not completely. I believe it would simply state that your not all knowing, or your talking about what you understood. I do agree with you that a paper would be stronger, or have more authority and voice if you don't have any sort of obligation to the audience. In the situation I have stated before, if you were to be teaching something and a student would tell you that you are wrong, what would you do? Simply fight and say you are right? Or what happens if you realise you are wrong? Do you admit to all the others you are wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would admit that I am wrong. I have no fear in being corrected, I will not invalidate my voice by saying I'm not all knowing, as long as never present bullshit. lol

    What I mean is that any stance I take, especially as a grounded academic I take with references, I take seriously, I believe in. If I have extensively studied a topic and someone corrects me I have no choice but to invite that point into my analysis of the subject. Remember academia is constantly thinking and rethinking the same questions. Somewhere someone will prove what you believe is wrong based on their sources, and because they are able to do so does not invalidate the work you did to prove that in one sense of the subject you are right.

    Thank you for your response.
    Check Plus!

    ReplyDelete